Caramel Corn!

Crispy Caramel Corn


Another recipe to prepare us for fall...
This caramel corn is dry and crisp, not sticky like some caramel corn I've encountered. It's got a rich brown sugar and butter flavor, of course, and I like to eat it 'til I get sick. If you want the full "Oh-my-gosh-I-think-I-ate-too-much" experience, only use four quarts of popcorn. If you're on a diet, or if are simply more sensible, use the whole 8 quarts.  You can figure out your preference after making it a couple of times.
I think this recipe comes originally from my dear friend Cheryl Tellers-now-Whitney. Thanks, Cheryl!

Crispy Caramel Corn

Preheat oven to 250°.

Combine in a medium to large microwavable dish:

  • 1 C brown sugar
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/4 C light corn syrup
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • Put in microwave on high until butter is mostly melted and then stir to combine ingredients. Bring to a boil by cooking on high for about 2 minutes. Remove and add:
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda

Put 4-8 quarts air-popped popcorn into a huge bowl. Pour above syrup stuff over popcorn and mix thoroughly. Spread popcorn onto two non-stick cookie sheets. Bake at 250° for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes, rotating pans between top and bottom shelves. Remove from oven; stir immediately. Stir occasionally while cooling. Store in an airtight container.
Caramel Corn made with Tiny But Mighty Popcorn