Easy Baked Pasta (for 2)


Easy Baked Pasta



My husband doesn't really like pasta.  I know, I know.  Sad, isn't it?  He blames his aversion to this fabulous food staple on his mother feeding him canned ravioli as a kid.  So, I guess you can't really blame him.  He WILL eat spaghetti on occasion; but it's on evenings that he is gone (like tonight he's at class) that I will make pasta for me and my son Ezra, aka My Eating Buddy.  I came up with this little ditty on the fly one night, and Ezra said it was his favorite pasta ever.  I quite liked it myself.  I really got the idea for it from my husband's Aunt Willa, who makes this heart-warming crock pot pizza, which I'll have to post some time as well.  This recipe is so easy, I hadn't really thought to post it, but I have time and light this evening, so here it goes.  
Since I make this for just me and Ezra, it's not a lot.  It's enough for us and for me to have some for lunch the next day.  The recipe is easily doubled

Easy Baked Pasta

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef
  • 1/2 jar (about 7 oz.) pizza sauce (I use Ragu Traditional Pizza Quick)
  • 2 cups dry mini pasta (I use Barilla Piccolini Mini Farfalle)
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 to 3/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
  • salted water for boiling pasta

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

Brown ground beef in a medium pan.  Drain fat, if necessary.  Pour in pizza sauce.  I add a little water if it seems too thick/dry.  Simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large-ish pot of water to a rolling boil.  Add pasta and boil for one minute less than the package directions.  Drain pasta and add to the meaty sauce.  

Pour into a medium sized baking dish.  Top evenly with cheese.  Place in the oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until cheese is just melty.  Don't let it go so long that the cheese browns.  It doesn't taste as good when it goes that far.

Makes about 3 servings.
Baby bow-tie pasta