Pizza Rustica [TWD]


Pizza Rustica

This week's Tuesday's With Dorie recipe is an Italian classic. Pizza Rustica, typically served on Easter, is a sort of deep dish cheese pie similar to quiche. This particular recipe had a sweet crust filled with ricotta, mozzarella, pecorino romano and prosciutto.

This seems like a good time to mention that I wasn't too crazy about this dish. I thought it was too cheesy and the sweet crust didn't compliment the filling well in my opinion. I'm not that into cheese though, so that could be the reason. However, I will say that the crust baked up beautifully - it was the most attractive pie I've ever made!

While I wasn't crazy about the dish itself, shopping for the ingredients helped me discover my love for Trader Joe's! I always buy my flour there so I stopped there on my way to Whole Foods where I was planning to buy the cheese and prosciutto (which I was expecting to cost me a small fortune). On a whim I decided to check out their cheese isle... Holy crap! Have you ever seen it? It's huge! They had everything I needed (including the prosciutto) and it was way cheaper than any other place I'd seen. I was planning on making 4 or 5 stops that day just to get everything I needed for the week, but in the end I only made that one stop. TJ's had every last thing on my list for a ridiculously low price. I think this is the beginning of a long and beautiful friendship.

The recipe for the Pizza Rustica can be found on this weeks hosts' blogs, here and here, as well as in the Baking With Julia book.