Blueberry Crumb Cake -- Tuesdays with Dorie

A big thank you to the very sweet Sihan of Befuddlement who picked Dorie's Blueberry Crumb Cake as out TWD treat of the week. I was really excited about making this recipe, I love to try recipes like this, almost breakfast, almost dessert, a fruity little something to munch on with some tea, not to mention I am a huge blueberry fan.


I actually made this cake twice, the first time I used fresh blueberries and baked it in an 8 inch round springform pan, it was perfect! We had a few visitors that day and the cake was gone in no time, I didn't get any photos except for this one above of the last little half slice left.



The second time I made this cake I just had to see how it would work in my new Kaiser pan. I actually bought the pan mostly to use for cheesecakes (it has a removable bottom) but I don't make cheesecakes that often (so no, I guess I didn't really need another pan, I know, I know) and I really wanted to use it...


I personally think the cake looked prettier coming out of the springform, the top mounded beautifully and it was just picture perfect, even though I never got a picture. I have no idea why but the topping didn't get as golden brown when I used the Kaiser pan...could the frozen blueberries have caused that? I don't know. I do think that the cut cake looked better with the fresh blueberries, with the frozen the color was a little off -- but really not a big deal.


The second cake I decided to do a little simple lemon glaze -- 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and drizzled it over the top just for looks. Yeah, I forgot to line the table, oh-well, powdered sugar glaze cleans up very easily, don't worry :)



I hope everyone enjoyed this cake as much as we did, thanks to Dorie for another great recipe and to Sihan for this fun choice!