Cinnamon Squares -- Tuesdays with Dorie


Time for Tuesdays with Dorie! Our treat of the week this week: Cinnamon Squares, picked by the wonderful Tracey of Tracey’s Culinary Adventures, you can visit her fun blog for this recipe. Thanks for a great pick, Tracey! I can't believe I'm posting so late, I like to usually write up my TWD post the night before and set it to post at midnight, but I wasn't able to make today's recipe until this morning. Good thing it was an easy one!

Cinnamon squares is a very basic recipe, I did change up a few ingredients though...I substituted buttermilk for the whole milk, I love the little something that buttermilk adds to baked goods and I had some to use up in the fridge so I thought, why not?

I also substituted cinnamon chips for the chocolate chips in the middle layer, and for the espresso powder, I subbed in instant French vanilla nut coffee.

The cake baked up and was done at 40 minutes, I used a standard 8 by 8 by 2 pan by wilton, I love that Dorie mentions in the recipe that she uses a basic Baker's Secret square pan, which are easy to find at just about any store that has a baking aisle. I have a few Baker's Secret pans and love them. I skipped the parchment paper and sprayed my pan with Crisco spray with flour for baking, no sticking problems, thank goodness!



For the chocolate frosting I used semisweet chips and melted them with the butter and added a few tablespoons of cream to give it a more ganache look.

The frosting spread easily with an off-set spatula, I tried my best to get it to look all swirly like in the book...

And that is all! A simple, moist, and very cinnamon-y snack cake :)