Mini Caramel Apple Pies -- Sweet Melissa Sundays

It's Monday, a day late for Sweet Melissa Sundays, but late is better than never, right? I actually made these sweet little pies on Sunday but didn't get to posting about them until now. Caramel Apple Pie from The Sweet Melissa Baking Book was our pick this week for SMS, chosen by Susan of
Baking with Susan. Susan has a wonderful blog and I love to see her gorgeous photos whenever I visit :) You can visit Susan's site for the recipe and some great step by step photos if you don't have the book.

I decided to make these pies in my little electric pie maker, the kids love them and it's one of those small kitchen appliances I don't use nearly as much as I should. I followed the recipe exactly except for using Fuji apples instead of the Granny Smith suggested. In the book there are two choices for pie crusts, one is Melissa's Flaky Pie Dough and the other is an all butter pie dough. My usual recipe is an all butter pie crust and we love it, but for the sake of trying something new I went with the Flaky Pie Dough that has butter and shortening. It did not go over well with my picky husband, he really didn't like it :( It was okay for me, I prefer my usual recipe though. The kids did like the crust though, they actually really liked the pie and the crust.

The caramel came together nicely, although it was quite light colored after adding the cream it was still delicious. All together the pie didn't go over well for picky husband, he has a certain basic apple pie that I make that he just loves and every time I try a different one he is not a happy camper. I think I was missing the spices a little bit, but the kids really loved this pie, so not an all around new favorite, but definitely a tasty pie that was fun to make.

ETA for Natashya and Carmen -- here are a couple of shots of the mini electric Sunbeam pie maker...

one of my favorite specialty kitchen electrics :)