Nutty Pumpkin Waffles -- Weekend Waffle Club


Time for a weekend waffle recipe! Today I tried Nutty Pumpkin Waffles, this was a new recipe for me from a little advertising cookbook by Libby's Pumpkin called Home-Baked Goodness. These waffles have a comforting pumpkin and spice flavor and a little crunch from macadamia nuts. The recipe was fairly easy to put together, although it did require the somewhat tedious step of whipping egg whites and folding them into the batter, but don't let that deter you from giving them a try...


Nutty Pumpkin Waffles
from Libby's Home-Baked Goodness Cookbook

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs, separated
1 3/4 cups milk

1/2 cup pumpkin
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
3/4 cup chopped nuts -- I used macadamia nuts

Combine flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, ginger and nutmeg in large bowl. Combine egg yolks, milk and pumpkin in medium bowl; mix well. Add to flour mixture.


Stir in butter. Beat egg whites in small mixer bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold into pumpkin mixture.


Preheat waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions. Depending on size of waffle iron, pour 1/2 cup to 1 1/2 cups batter onto hot iron. Generously sprinkle with nuts. -- I left the nuts out of some for the kids.


Bake for 4 to 5 minutes or until steaming stops. Repeat with remaining batter and nuts.

This waffle recipe gave us eight large, square, thick Belgian style waffles. The kids all liked them and two out of three kids requested seconds. Picky husband would not try these, he thinks pumpkin only belongs in pie. I'll keep trying, pumpkin, I promise! I know you are so good in both sweet and savory dishes for any meal and not just dessert :) I thought these were great and would make them again, although this is the first pumpkin waffle recipe I've tried in years so don't have much to compare it too. These were definitely a hearty fill-you-up type of waffle, great with a little butter, grade B maple syrup, and a big glass of milk.

This is my first time hosting anything with a link-up and I'm not sure if I'll have any waffle comrades cooking with me this weekend, but here goes...

Please leave a link on your blog post to Weekend Waffle Club at Nummy Kitchen and leave a link to your post here with the linky widget. Next weekend I will post another waffle recipe and a cute little round-up of all of the waffles that you guys made and linked here, make sense? I hope so :) Let me know if you have any questions! You can leave your link here any time until next Saturday, February 5th.