King Sized Great Grains Muffins


Time for Tuesdays with Dorie! Our treat this week is less like the sweet treats we are used to making and more of a breakfast baked good, introducing Great Grains Muffins. The photo of these in Baking From My Home To Yours looks absolutely delicious to me and I couldn't wait to give them a try. Thank you to Christine at Happy Tummy, who picked these for us to try this week!


I was planning to bake these up in my Nordic Ware train cakelet pan, with a snappy title of Great Grains Muffin Train, cute, huh? But, much to the disappointment of my Thomas the Train loving {read obsessed} three year old, I can not find that pan -- it's not where I thought it was and after digging around a bit I decided to just use my Wilton King Size Muffin pan (that I've had for a while but never used) instead.

This pan really is king sized, I could only fill five muffin cups, even though I made the full recipe of muffin batter!

Before and after baking shot, my muffins ended up all different heights since I didn't distribute the batter evenly...

Oh-well, they were still delicious! My two boys who are home today loved them and I'm sure my daughter will enjoy hers for an after school snack -- or half of one anyway. I baked them for exactly 20 minutes at 400 and they were perfectly done, for add-ins I used dried cherries, no nuts today. I think these would be wonderful with some shredded cheddar baked in as well, maybe next time :) On a side note, we are currently under a blizzard warning and I have to admit, I'm pretty excited about the expected snow!