Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
This cookie is so soft it's actually sagging.

My husband used to buy these GrandMa's cookies for breakfast, so I decided to make them myself once I found this recipe at http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/home.php many, many moons ago.  I don't even think they have the recipe there anymore, but the English teacher in me has to site my source.
These cookies stay soft for a long time (at least for the two days before they're all eaten) because of the raisin puree in them.  I'm not sure if the low baking temperature helps with this texture thing, but whatever the case, they're soft, chewy, and flavorful.  The dark brown sugar gives them a molassesy flavor too.  
I figure these are still more wholesome than a lot of the sweet pre-packaged junk food my husband calls "breakfast," so I think I will start making them again.  Kind of sad that this is a healthy alternative, huh?

GrandMa’s Oatmeal Raisin Big Cookies
From Topsecretrecipes.com

Ingredients

  • ½ cup raisins
  • 1/3 cup hot water
  • ½ cup vegetable shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 1 ½ cups dark brown sugar (or 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar plus 1 tablespoon molasses)
  • 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour (you can use all white or all wheat, if you’d like)
  • 1 ¼ cups rolled oats
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup raisins
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 275°F.
2. Combine ½ cup raisins with hot water in a food processor and blend on high speed for about 1 minute or until very smooth.
3. Combine raisin puree with the Crisco, egg, brown sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.  Mix until smooth.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flour with the oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.  Pour dry mixture into the wet and mix just until combined.  Stir in the other ½ cup of raisins.
5.  Roll 3-tablespoon-sized portions of dough in your hands and press to 1/2 –inch flat on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.  Leave about 1 ½ inches between dough discs. 
6. Bake at 275°F for 18-20 minutes.  Be careful not to overcook.  Cool on pan for 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to finish cooling.  Store in an airtight container.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies.