- 350g almonds
- 350g caster sugar
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 8 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 400ml sunflower oil
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 200g dried cranberries plus a handful to decorate
- 3 cloves
Make a well and add the sunflower oil and eggs before mixing. Then add in the zests and dried cranberries. I used my new microplane grater (below) for finely zesting and it worked a treat! Once combined bake for 50 minutes - 1 hour. However, beware mine took a look longer... probably about an extra 20 minutes.
With about 5 minutes to go, gently heat the citrus juices in a saucepan with the remaining sugar, cinnamon and cloves. Dissolve the sugar and then simmer and cook for 3 minutes. When the cake is done remove it from the oven and pierce it with a skewer. Then pour the citrus syrup over the top. It then cools in the tin for an hour before turning out. Finally, decorate with a handful of dried cranberries and serve with pouring cream. Result... a tasty winter bake!
* Adapted from Eric Lanlard's Orange and Cranberry Torte recipe on the Delicious Magazine website.