Feel like a kid again!

I am writing a blog to tell stories and share recipes with all of my favorite people.  But first, let me explain how I became passionate about food and feeding people at an early age.

It all began when I was a little girl making mud pies in the back yard. My mom took this picture of me because I was covered with mud from head to toe, half naked wearing only training pants. I know, it isn't a very attractive picture of me, but look at the smile on my face! I was having a blast playing in the mud making mud pies for hours. Making mud pies with my friends are some of my most special memories. 



Even today, I can be found spending hours in the kitchen whipping up favorite recipes and making new ones while entertaining loved ones. They feel spoiled and I feel extra special because I shared a little bit of love with them through my food. Feeding people is my way of celebrating life and sharing precious moments during the time we have together in the kitchen.

Some of my favorite memories as a little girl are from when I would watch my mom bake cookies and cakes. She let me taste the Baker's Unsweetened Baking Chocolate Squares knowing full well it would taste terrible. I got to lick the beaters and help with the dishes and I loved being with her. We shared these times together while my siblings were climbing a tree, playing basketball with the neighbors, or watchinng TV.

I am still making mud pies with some of my most special friends. The mud pie recipe here is inspired and adapted from one of my favorite people, Jan Glomstad. We still make mud pies together, but at least we end up much cleaner in the end than back in the day.
Hot Fudge Sundae Pie and is perfect ending to a hot summer day meal.

Hot Fudge Sundae Pie (serves 6-8)

Crust
2 1/2 C. finely ground chocolate wafer cookies (use food processor to grind or put cookies in a  zip lock and crush w/ rolling pin)
6 T granulated sugar
12 T unsalted butter melted

Hot Fudge Sauce
1 C. granulated sugar
1/2 C. whipping cream
3/4 C. corn syrup
3 T. unsalted butter
1 teas vanilla
pinch of salt
6 oz fine quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened- like the one my mom made me try)chopped
1/2 C. unsweetened cocoa powder


Filling
1 quart of frozen coffee or chocolate icecream (let stand at room temp to soften)
1/2 Gallon or frozen vanilla ice cream (let stand at room temp to soften)


Garnish:
1/2 C. heavy whipping cream whipped,  chopped almonds and marachino cherries(optional)

Crust:
Cover a 9 or 10 inch springform pan with plastic wrap so it overlaps edges. Combine cookie crumbs,almonds, melted butter and sugar in a bowl and stir until incorporated. Press into the springform pan only covering the bottom by using a metal measuring cup. Place in freezer.

Sauce:
Bring cream, corn syrup, sugar, salt, and cocoa powder and half of chocolate to a boil in a 1 to 1/2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring until chocolate is melted. Reduce heat and cook at a low boil, stirring occasionally @ 4-5 minutes, then remove from heat. Add butter, vanilla and remaining chocolate and stir until smooth. Cool.

Filling:
Spread coffee or chocolate flavored icecream evenly over frozen crust and place in freezer. When frozen, spread vanilla icecream on top evenly and place back in freezer. When frozen, pour the cooled chocolate sauce over vanilla layer and freeze.

When ready to serve ,remove plastic from springform pan by disassembling the sides and place frozen pie on plate. Cut into wedges by dipping large knife in hot water first and decorate w/ whipped cream, almonds and cherries.
Active time 40 minutes.Start to finish:3 hours includes freezing. Can be made up to a week in advance.

Enjoy! Now you can feel like a kid again and make mud pies too!

Teri Smyth:)all rights reserved