Malted Waffles [club: BAKED]


Malted Waffles

This is my first club:Baked post in a while. I missed a couple months while I was away from home and I was back in time to participate in the Chocolate Coffee Cake with Dark Chocolate Ganache recipe but that's, in my opinion, the most luxurious recipe in the whole book, and I have no need for such an exquisite cake right now. I think I'll come back to that one a little later when I have some sort of occasion for which that cake would be appropriate rather than wasting an extraordinary recipe on an ordinary day!

Malted Waffles

This is actually the second time I've made these waffles. The first time I made them was about a year ago, before club:Baked was even born. It was a total fail. No matter how long I cooked them in my waffle iron, they remained undercooked in the center (even after I'd completely burned the outside to the point of no return). I'm pretty sure I eventually gave up and tossed the whole batch in the garbage.

This experience was a lot more pleasant. I'm not sure what I did differently this time but whatever it was, it worked - the waffles weren't raw in the middle! While I still found the waffles a little softer than I'd prefer, they were edible and pretty tasty - I'm calling it a success. I used kefir instead of buttermilk and it worked perfectly.


The recipe for these waffles can be found on this week's host's blog, as well as in the Baked Explorations cookbook.