Double Chocolate Almond Flour Cookies



Double Chocolate Almond Flour Cookies
I thought I'd buy some Trader Joe's Just Almond Meal to make some almond flour chocolate chip cookies. TJ's uses whole almonds, whereas Bob's Red Mill and Whole Foods Brand use blanched almonds. The whole almond produces, as one would expect, a bit of a grainer texture, but I'm sure it also adds some valuable fiber. At least that's what I'm telling myself. I decided to try making these cookies chocolate chocolate chip, just to see what would happen, and because I love chocolate cookies.
I am pleasantly surprised by the moistness of these cookies. The usual chocolate chip version turn crisp, but these turned soft. I'm not sure if it's because it's a hot & humid August day, and I left them on the pan for a few hours, or if it's because I used half brown sugar, or if they'll just always turn out like this. I'll update the post next time I try it. What I ended up with, though, has a nice cakey brownie texture, and I really like it. These cookies are barely sweet, so if you're a person who prefers very sweet cookies, you might want to add another quarter cup of sugar. I'm comfortable with less sweet, so I like these just the way they are.

Double Chocolate Almond Flour Chocolate Cookies
   --adapted from The Wannabe Chef who adapted recipe from The Food Lovers' Primal Palate

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 1/2 cups almond flour (I used Trader Joe's Just Almond Meal today, but I also use Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal/Flour sometimes)
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup chocolate chips, or 12 Dove Dark Chocolate Promises, finely chopped
Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Sift cocoa powder into a medium bowl. Stir in almond flour using a wire whisk.
Cream butter and sugar until very light, about 2-3 minutes.  Add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated.  Add salt and baking soda and beat until incorporated.  Mix in cocoa and almond flour mixture.  Stir in chocolate chips.
Scoop about two tablespoon mounds onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet (or use a medium sized cookie scoop), placing about an inch and a half apart.  Gently smoosh dough to make almost 1/2-inch thick disks.  
Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until puffed and cracked.
Allow to cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Makes about 28 cookies.