Red Potato Fries

Red Potato Fries
I'm not sure why I started cutting potatoes like this sometimes. I started years and years ago, and actually, I haven't done it in a while. I'm pretty sure I must have seen some Food Network chef do it one time and it looked good. I probably should have taken pictures of the process of cutting because it is rather unusual. You cut just the end off the potato, and then you cut at an angle and give the potato a quarter or a third turn and cut again so you end up with odd angles and edges to your cut potatoes. I kind of think of a gem cut as II'm cutting them. What you end up with after frying is a bite of fried potato that is thick and tender at one end, and around two or three of the edges is thin, browned and crisp. Tonight I used red potatoes, but I've also done this cut on russet potatoes. I mean, any kind of potato tastes good fried as far as I'm concerned. 
It's just a fun way to mix things up.

Red Potato Fries

Ingredients: 

  • 1 pound red potatoes
  • canola oil 
  • salt & pepper to taste

Directions:
Wash and dry potatoes. With a sharp knife, cut off a quarter inch end of a potato and then starting in the center of that cut, cut potato at an angle. Turn potato a quarter turn and cut again from the center. Continue doing this, making sure you're cutting pieces that are approximately equal in size.
Place 1 inch of canola oil in a large high-rimmed frying pan. Turn heat to medium high and place potatoes in the oil. Do not preheat the oil. Put the potatoes in when the oil is still cold. 
Allow potatoes to fry until they start browning slightly at the edges before you stir with a slotted metal spoon. Continue to fry, stirring occasionally until potatoes are as browned as you like.
Remove with the slotted metal spoon to a paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Serve hot.
Makes 4 servings.