That gorgeous daughter of mine is taking cooking for the family to new heights.
These are called Gnudies and are a delicious mix of ricotta and polenta. I am not sure if there is any room to improve from this point. Gnuuuuudiiieees. And everyone liked them.ABC delicious Magazine.
The Ricotta Gnudi with pine nuts, currants and oregano is our favourite so far.
My daughter's version (served six with bread)
- 500g fresh ricotta
- 1 cup grated parmesan and some extra to serve
- 2/3 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup polenta (because we had no semolina and I have enormous stockpile of polenta)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten (from our neighbours chickens - so delicious
- 75g butter
- 1/2 cup oregano leaves
- 1/3 cup currants soaked in 1/3 cup of a mix of red wine and balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 cups wilted silverbeet
- Mix cheeses, flour, polenta, eggs and season.
- Roll into walnut sized balls
- put water on to boil
- toast pine nuts - set aside (put on table for self serving)
- Make sauce - melt butter, when foaming add oregano, sizzle for 20 secs, Add silverbeet cook until just wilted and tender. Drain currants, add to pan, season.
- Cook gnudi in batches in boiling water until it rises to the surface (few minutes). Remove with slotted spoon.
- Serve gnudi with sauce, nuts and parmesan
The Big Bowerbird's cooking skills were recognised recently by some masterful ladies.The CWA gave the Big Bowerbird first place in her schools show day cake competition, it was a wonderful rainbow creation that she made with a good friend. Could their be any greater compliment than a CWA first prize?
The school goes all out for show day - even the teachers dress up. The kids had some wonderful creations in the show hall, I'll have to get mine better organised next year. The Middle Bowerbird didn't enter anything then was filled with regret, awwww.
The Big Bowerbird's guinea pigs went along to show day (kids are encouraged to bring their pets or a soft toy). When I saw the crowd of excited dogs around, and thought of the terrible possibilities, I think this may be a once off affair.
Show Day at school - so much better than the Royal variety.