Waldkindergarten




Definition: A forest kindergarten is a type of preschool education for children between the ages of three and six that is held almost exclusively outdoors. Whatever the weather, children are encouraged to play, explore and learn in a forest or natural environment. The adult supervision is meant to assist rather than lead. It is also known as Waldkindergarten (in German), outdoor nursery, nature kindergarten, or nature preschool.

Ummm, I am the only one in complete shock and awe of this type of education system? I couldn't even believe it when I first read about it in Boys Adrift and then again in Last Child in the Forest. I know some may think this a bit overboard or extreme but I just love this concept of kids learning and being outdoors all day. Read more about it below:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/3357232/Waldkindergarten-the-forest-nurseries-where-children-learn-in-Natures-classroom.html

http://www.edutopia.org/early-childhood-outdoor-education-waldkindergarten

I researched and found there are a few in Luxembourg, if I am lucky enough to find one in my area I would definately try to get my kids in a prorgram like this.