Coconut Chocolate Chip Croq-Tele (TV Snacks)


Coconut Chocolate Chip Croq-Tele
Coconut Croq-Tele
I made a bunch of croq-tele (TV Snacks) when my family was out here for Thanksgiving, and I've been wanting to make more. I got distracted, though, by making Dutch Letters for Christmas. Now I'm getting around to making them again. I thought it would be fun to try some mini chocolate chips in them. And then I saw the coconut in my baking basket and decided to try that too. My husband likes the ones with the chocolate chips, but I prefer the plain and the coconut ones. The chocolate is too overwhelming, even in its small amount, as far as I'm concerned.
Just like the original croq-tele, these are simple sweet, salty, buttery deliciousness. 

Coconut Chocolate Chip Croq-Tele (TV Snacks)
     --adapted from At the Baker's Bench who adapted it from Field Guide to Cookies

Ingredients:
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.  Place coconut in a metal pie pan or other small metal baking pan, and toast in the oven for about 6-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before using.
Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, stir almond flour, sugar, and salt.
In a large mixing bowl, beat flour and cold butter until mixture turns sandy in texture. Add almond/sugar/salt mixture and beat until small clumps form. (I had to turn off my stand mixer and scrape the sides to see that it was clumping.)
Crumble the toasted coconut as you add it to the dough. Mix a little more to incorporate the coconut. Stir chocolate chips in with a spoon if you're using chocolate chips.
Use a teaspoon to scoop out small balls of dough. Pinch the dough in your hand until it holds together. Place on prepared cookie sheet about an inch apart. 
Bake at 325 degrees for 15-16 minutes, or until tips/edges are browned.
Cool cookies on pan for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely. 
Store in an airtight container or freeze for later consumption.

Makes 2-3 dozen little cookies.