Apricot Cherry Rugelach -- Tuesdays with Dorie


For our oh so special election day TWD, Piggy of Piggy’s Cooking Journal picked Rugelach from pages 150 and 151 of Dorie's Baking From My Home To Yours. Thanks, Piggy :) I love rugelach and it is a must bake cookie -- at least once a year around Christmas -- for us. Even though I've made it quite a few times I don't have a special recipe, I try different ones and am usually not dissapointed, but never wowed enough to stop trying new recipes.

This was the first time I've ever made the dough in a food processor and I thought it turned out really nicely! I used apricot jam and almonds and dried cherries for the filling, skipped the chocolate this time around although I have done chocolate rugelach in the past (chocolate -pistachio - raspberry is a favorite combo) I was in more a fruit and nut mood with these. I only ended up with 16 cookies, not the 32 the book says, I didn't really pay attention as to how to cut them since I've made them before but I'm assuming it was kind of tough to get 32 out of these -- the dough is kind of fragile...but if you did I bet they are very pretty with such delicate swirls. This was probably my favorite TWD cookie so far, nice and soft and fruity and nutty. Just perfect with some tea.


Happy voting, everyone!