adapted from SmittenKitchen
makes 25-30 oreos
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened dutch-process cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 large egg
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
4 tsp vanilla extract
(*note - in this frosting recipe I doubled everything but the sugar. When I made it, I made it exactly how the original recipe said to make it and I found it waaayyy too sweet, dry/crumbly, and I ran out half way through icing the cookies. These new proportions are what I will use next time, but if you try it and think it could use a different ratio, holla!)
- Set two oven racks in the middle of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar until combined evenly.
- Mix in the egg and then, using a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until a thick dough forms and all ingredients are blended together. (You can do the last two steps using a food processor or stand mixer.)
- Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on the baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Wet your hands a little and slightly flatten the cookies. Not too much, just a little to get the general shape of the cookie, it will spread out more in the oven.
- Bake for 9 minutes, rotating once halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and put baking sheets on racks to cool.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the cream. Place the butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric mixer and, at low speed, gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Once incorporated, turn the mixer on med-high and beat for 2-3 minutes, until frosting is fluffy.
- Using an offset spatula or butter knife, spread a generous amount of frosting onto the bottom of one cookie, then sandwich the frosting with another cookie of the same size. Repeat until all of the cookies are sandwiched.
Store in an airtight container and enjoy for at least a week!