Browned Butter Popcorn

Browned Butter Popcorn
I really like popcorn when it's drenched in butter, or even butter flavored topping at the movie theater.  As often as I like eating popcorn, though, I really can't use as much butter as I'd like.  When I was a kid, my mom would pop the popcorn in melted butter.  Yum!  The salt in the butter would evenly coat the popcorn and the butter would brown just a little bit to give it a deeper butter flavor.  So good.  Generally, I pop my popcorn in canola oil.  Last night I decided to throw in two tablespoons of butter along with the canola oil to see how it would taste, and it was perfect.  Just the right amount of butter flavor, not greasy, with cute little browned butter flecks all over.  I think I'll be doing this again.  Here's the recipe in case you'd like to try it too.

Browned Butter Popcorn

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons canola oil (approx.)
1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
2 tablespoons salted butter
salt to taste

Directions:
In a heavy medium sized pot, heat canola oil and 2-3 kernels of popcorn.  When kernels start to sizzle and turn white, add the rest of the popcorn.  When those turn white, add the butter and cover.  Shake here and there as the popcorn pops.  When the popping has slowed to 1-2 seconds between pops, remove from heat and pour into a large bowl.   Sprinkle with salt.