Six Minute Egg



Six Minute Egg on Ciabatta Pizza Crust
My mom used to serve us soft boiled eggs. She'd boil them, tap off the narrower end with a knife, sprinkle on a lot of salt, and I'd dig in with a small spoon. I loved the runny yellow of the egg with just a little bit of the firm white. Mom even had these cute little egg cups that would hold my soft boiled egg for me. Good stuff.
So, when I saw a picture of this egg on Pinterest (from The Village Cook), I had to try it. Fortunately, a friend saw my pin and tried it before I did and told me six minutes was better than the four minutes in the original recipe. I think maybe four minutes is good if you start with room temperature eggs, but for the cold eggs I use, six minutes is perfect: The white is thoroughly cooked and so is a layer of the yolk, about 3 millimeters, and the rest of the yolk is warm, drippy, and yummy. 
The first pics I took of this I used whole wheat toast, but my lighting was awful, and whole wheat toast isn't very interesting. So, the next day, I used the ciabatta pizza crust that I accidentally over-baked the night before. Honestly, it was a little rubbery the following day, but I think it looks good with the egg on it.
Guy Fieri would hate this, but if you're an egg lover, you have to try it.

Six Minute Egg
     --adapted from The Village Cook


Ingredients:
  • water
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1-2 eggs 
  • more water
  • ice
Directions:
Bring water to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Add vinegar. Carefully place egg/s into boiling water and set timer for 6 minutes. Place cold water and ice in a bowl that will hold the egg/s you're cooking. When timer goes off, remove egg/s with a slotted spoon and place in ice water until they're cool enough to handle. Carefully peel the shell from the egg and place on toast, hash browns, or simply a plate. Cut into it and enjoy.