Chili from Leftover Roast Beef



This bowl is for my picky son. Therefore, no toppings.

Last night we had basic chuck roast for dinner with potatoes and carrots. It was yummy. We had a decent amount of roast left over, so I thought I would make some taquitos with the leftovers for our Sunday lunch. Well, I didn't really have enough corn tortillas for that, so I got to thinking that I should make some chili with it. Ruby's Diner in California makes their chili using shredded beef, and I'm surprised I've never tried it at home before. Today was my day, and I have to tell you, it was a great success. I've eaten way more than I should have, and I think my husband now regrets selecting a Totino's pizza for his lunch before I got home. 
I used Williams Original Chili Seasoning Mix because it's just what I use. You could use your own favorite chili mix or recipe; just replace the browned ground beef with the leftover roast. It's a quick, hearty, delicious way to enjoy day old roast beef.

Chili from Leftover Roast Beef

Ingredients:

  • 2-3 cups leftover chuck roast in chunks (not yet shredded)
  • 1/2 to 1 package Williams Original Chili Seasoning Mix
  • 3 oz. tomato paste (about half a can)
  • 1 1/2 cups water (approx.)
  • 1 beef bullion cube
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4 cup masa flour mixed with about 1/2 cup warm water (optional)
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • grated cheddar cheese, salsa, green onions, or other desired topping/garnish
  • Homemade Tortilla Chips or Homemade French Fries

Directions:
In a medium sized heavy saucepan over medium heat, warm up the leftover roast and 1/2 cup water. Once the water starts to simmer, add 6 to 8 teaspoons of the chili seasoning mix (amount depends on how much roast you have). Add the tomato paste, beef bullion, and 1 more cup water and stir. Break up larger chunks of meat as you stir. If you want a thicker, tighter chili, pour in the masa/water mixture while stirring rapidly until incorporated. Add the tablespoon of butter. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5-10 minutes on low, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste.
Top servings with your favorite chili toppings. Serve with Homemade Tortilla Chips or Homemade French Fries.
Makes 4-5 servings.